Question Proposed on LinkedIn: What are the simple steps to perfect job interviews?
- Be prepared, be yourself, and smile! :)
- These are my personal views based on having worked as an executive search consultant and a career transition coaching for over 20 years — my view is that the key candidate behaviors that have influenced my decisions as an interviewer in the selection and short-listing process must include:
1. LEVEL OF CONFIDENCE
3. ENTHUSIASM AND ENGAGEMENT
4. ABILITY TO TALK UP STRENGTHS AND ATTRIBUTES
- Be confident but not over confident and listen first to the questions asked and give the appropriate answer and if the answer is not known admit that you do not know the answer and do not beat around the bush.
- If “location” is the key in real estate, then “preparation” is the key interviewing. Know your self well and what you really want to do. Know the job you are interviewing for well so you can speak to how you would be a good candidate for it and how it would be a good opportunity for you. Know the company well so that you aren’t going into an environment or culture that is a surprise to you. You will come across as someone who wants more than just a job if you understand what you want, what the job is and what kind of company you are interviewing with.
- Research the company. Get a good night’s sleep. Show up 10 minutes early. Have closing questions. Bring a binder that has your reference list and some resumes in it. Have a nice piece of paper in front of you that you can resort to if you need to explain some “project accomplishments” questions that might be fully detailed on your resume. Know your resume inside and out. Smile and bring a cheerful presence. Be yourself.