Help Wanted. Filling Out Applications.
WHERE TO LOOK
• Look beyond newspaper ads!
• Take time to visit different areas and look for NOW HIRING signs in retail and service spots!
• Need to check community Web pages for community/local positions
• Check Craigslist and other “free advertisement” websites
WHAT TO DO DURING APPLICATION PROCESS
• Greet the initial person politely and ask to fill out an application
• Bring your resume with you
• Take your references and employment history (with dates), skill’s information, & education information with you to your potential application sites in a binder
• Apply for a specific position as opposed to writing “open to anything”
• List your most recent job/education first
• Fill it out patiently and neatly, with no errors or spelling mistakes!
• Don’t leave anything blank! Write “does not apply” or “N/A” (not applicable) if the question doesn’t pertain to you & FOLLOW DIRECTIONS!
• Be honest! The employer can come back and hold anything dishonest against you which can lead to you not getting the job
• Take your own pen! It will make you look more professional!
• Double check every section of the application
• Speak with a manager when you hand in your application. You can make your first impression a good one right away. If you’re lucky, you can even get an interview scheduled. Remain positive and personable.
• Do a follow-up with any application you turn in. Let the employer know that you are interested in the job and that you are persistent enough to follow through with the application.